Monday, January 10, 2005

Juggler's Ball

So after creating my first blog, I thought I had entered a new world of self expression. Excited, I vowed, to do this religiously. Unfortunately, I have 2 basic things wrong with me. My dedication and priority proportions are completely out of order. Secondly my decision capabilities are seriously hindered by just too many choices.

Anyway, as I attempt to get back (which is primarily because of reading another blog), I do want to talk about a concept I just read on rootburn. Too much of a good things, talks about PDE, a concept of digital media effect on produce and acquire vs consumption. Rajat talks about how our rate of consumption is running stagnant, where our rate of production increases.

Upon reading the concept I realized, to some degree l enact the model at a physical level. I easily get involved in too many new things, but never end up in finishing the one’s I get involved in. According to the theory mentioned above my desire to do new things, generates in me a level of production faster than I may consume, that level of production is far compounded by the ease of getting involved, further complicated by so many things available to get involved in. Even more, the rate increase causes me to reduce my attention span to appropriately distribute load, thereby adding a level of incompletion, to be addressed based on priority.

This takes away the spark that generated the interest in the first place and leaving me to find something more interesting to do, without really letting go of the first one, hence the pile up.

I find my self constantly involved, racing through things, hardly enjoying the things that caught my interest and mostly never finishing them.

My analysis of this problem is that at some level we all have to juggle. The balls we juggle are weighed unequally based on priority and interest. Interest controls rate of production and priority controls consumption. Doing it right is just a matter of finding the right interest/priority combination. I on the other hand am a very bad juggler.

_/juggle-crash

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home